3/2/2017: Spring Sale
Spring is just around the corner and we want to celebrate with a free shipping coupon! Bring in the Spring and Summer construction season with your little helper. Make sure they are equipped with the right equipment. Buy safety vests, hard hats, safety glasses, tool belts and real tools today from Active Kyds!
Use the coupon code: Springsale at checkout for free shipping now until April 18th!
1/10/2017: Recall of Active Kyds Shovels and Garden Tool Sets
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission – Recall
Recall Date: January 10, 2017
Recall Number: 17-723
Active Kyds Recalls Children’s Toy Shovels and Garden Tool Sets Due to Lead Violations; Sold Exclusively on Amazon.com (Recall Alert)
Name of Product: Kids toy shovels and garden tool sets
Hazard: Excessive lead paint levels on the yellow shank and black blade on the shovel, and the black paint on the garden tool set violates the federal lead paint standard. In addition, the black plastic shovel handle and bag clip on the garden tool drawstring bag contain excessive lead content levels, a violation of the federal lead standard. Lead is toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health effect.
Consumers should immediately take the recalled toy shovels and garden tool sets away from children and contact Active Kyds for a refund.
Units: About 70
Description: This recall involves Active Kyds children’s toy shovels and garden tool sets. The fiberglass toy shovels were sold in yellow and black. The children’s garden tool set has blue handles with orange caps and black painted steel ends. It includes four tools: a hand shovel, hand fork, transplanter and cultivator. The tools are sold with a pull string black mesh bag with the Active Kyds logo printed in white.
Incidents/Injuries: None reported
Sold exclusively at: Amazon.com from August 2016 through October 2016 for between $20 and $25
Distributor: Active Kyds LLC, of Dassel, Minn.
Manufactured in: India
Active Kids Toy Fiberglass Shovels
Active Kyds Toy Garden Tool Set
About U.S. CPSC:
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals – contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury go online to www.SaferProducts.gov or call CPSC’s Hotline at 800-638-2772 or teletypewriter at 301-595-7054 for the hearing impaired. Consumers can obtain news release and recall information at www.cpsc.gov, on Twitter @USCPSC or by subscribing to CPSC’s free e-mail newsletters.
CPSC Consumer Information Hotline
Contact us at this toll-free number if you have questions about a recall:
800-638-2772 (TTY 301-595-7054)
Times: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. ET; Messages can be left anytime
Call to get product safety and other agency information and to report unsafe products.
Please use the phone numbers below for all media requests.
- How do I participate in the recall?
- Call our toll-free number or register by emailing your name, address and order number if you have it, to ActiveKyds@gmail.com and we will ship you a box and return label for the product. We will credit your credit card for the full purchased price and shipping fees of the product. Please include "Recall" in the subject line.
- Why is Active Kyds conducting this recall?
- It has come to our attention that the recalled children’s garden tool products contain lead in excess of the limits. We are conducting this recall to keep our customers safe and to prevent sickness.
- How is Active Kyds conducting this recall?
- We are removing the problem products from stores and consumers' homes and providing a full refund.
- How can I tell if my product is affected by the recall?
- All Active Kyds Shovels (yellow shank with black D handle) and all Active Kyds Garden Tool Sets (blue handle with orange cap) are affected by the recall.
- What is the problem with my [product]?
- Shovels: The lead levels in the paint on the shank and the blade are both above CPSC acceptable limits. Also the lead levels in the D Handle are above the limit as well.
- Garden Tool Set: The lead levels in the black paint and also the clip on the mesh bag are both above the CPSC acceptable limits.
- My product appears to be okay. Can I continue to use it?
- No. Even though your product appears to be safe, we are asking all customers to stop using the product immediately and participate in the recall by returning the product to us for a full refund. It is illegal to sell a recalled product.
- I no longer have the receipt for the product. Can I still return it?
- Yes. You can still return the product without a receipt.
- Will I receive a refund for the product?
- Yes. You will receive a full refund for the purchase price of the product, plus postage.
- How long will it take for me to receive the refund?
- Please allow 1 week from the date you contacted us. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.
- Will I be able to repair the product myself?
- No. Do not repair the product yourself. Please return it to us immediately for a refund.
- Why did Active Kyds sell these products if they are above the legal limits?
- We are embarrassed to say that we were over confident that they would pass the tests. We test all our products to meet the CPSC guidelines. With no prior issues and the word of our manufacturer, we mistakenly marched forward with selling these, two weeks before the results of the tests came back. We won’t make this mistake again.
- With normal use of these affected products, are we at risk for health concerns?
- No. High levels of lead is a real concern. With normal use of these products, the risk of lead poisoning is low, however, we want to remove the risk posed to children by removing the products from the household.
- What if I don’t return my product?
- We are issuing this recall for the safety of our customers. We will refund your purchase price regardless.